Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Quick Read

I had heard a lot about One night at the call center. Contrary to the title, its little about how a call center works. It also turned out to be more of a short story than a novel. A bit like a cliche Hindi movie in the form of a book (guy gets girl, drama all along to get there minus the 12 songs to fill the three hours). Not intellectually stimulating if that's what you are looking for, though if you are curious about the younger working generation in India you get some of that.

Having some friends working at call centers; the attitude, behavior, working environment isn't too far off.

I am often taken back by 'western' influences on the Indian youth. I fully support the growth, the job opportunities, the independence though disappointed in the ability of people to pick the best of both worlds. However, the drugs, the drinking, the adultery continue to surprise me. Or perhaps it always existed just more obvious now.

Have you read it?

3 comments:

Bharath Regula said...

Hi Suman,

I think Chetan Bhagat's novels are more popular with the youth in India who like to fantasize certain things :) I liked his first novel "Five point someone". Most of them say that his first novel is the best of all. Did you read that one?

-Bharath

Suman said...

Haven't read the first one; I will add it to my reading list now. Thanks!...

Any others you have read and liked.. that are popular just in India? I am open to suggestions...:)

Bhawana Sawale said...

Hi Suman,
Chetan Bhagat is amazing writer all his novel's are very much popular in India. Not only that but in NY Times also mentioned about him sometimes back http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/books/26bhagat.html. I've read all his books except 3 mistakes. I loved all the books. And now he is off for new book ... we sud see this out in few months .. waiting :)...Did u read 2 states? If not read it u will like it ...

-Bhawana